With all things being equal and you receive a quality lash service (trust us, there is often very poor quality lashes done out there) then you want your lashes to last as long as possible. At Vanilla Sugar Face & Body, we want you to have a rocking set of lashes that you can show off to the world.
When your lashes are not clean, the lashes we try to put on will either stick to residue (and will pop off prematurely because it's a weak bond) or be repelled by oil (which makes them barely stick on and we can't get as many on as you would probably prefer). When we apply lash extensions to natural lashes, it can almost be magnetic. We dip the artificial lash extension in a very strong adhesive and then attach it to base of the natural lash (not the skin). As we are applying it, a healthy dry lash will attract the lash extension like a magnetic. When we see that happen, we know that the lash extension will have a strong bond that will last much longer. This will also make your appointment go faster (woohoo, we know you've got places to be).
Here are the basic steps for Getting Fuller Lashes that will last longer
Deep Clean Your Lashes (before you receive any lash extensions)
Before you receive any lashes, whether it's a new set or a fill-in, be sure to completely cleanse your lashes. When we say clean lashes, we mean REALLY clean. If you are mascara lover, then you might be very surprised to learn that mascara, even when removed, often leaves residue. You won't be able to see this with the naked eye, but your lash tech and her nifty magnifying lenses can see things that you can't. We've actually seen mascara in lashes that has been there for a week. This is what we recommend before a new set of lash extension or before a fill if you choose to wear a lot of eye makeup.
1. Use a make-up remover. This can be oil based or oil free. However, you will only want to use oil-free make-up remover if you already have lash extensions on. Use the make-up remover 2 days before your lash appointment and again the day before. This will really help with getting all the mascara and eye makeup off.
2. After using the make up remover, cleanse your skin as usual, but be sure to cleanse your lashes with your face wash or a cleanser you can purchase while in the spa. This will continue to remove any residue left behind and to remove any oils.
3. Don't wear any eye-make up the day of your appointment. A little foundation is generally ok, but just no eye make-up. If you have mascara, eye shadow or eye-liner on, your Lash Tech will have to spend time taking it off and it will cut into your lash time. Also, any oils and residues left behind are very difficult to remove without running water.
4. Avoid wearing your eye cream the day of your appointment. We know, that's crazy because we love our eye cream around here at the spa. However, if your eye cream has any oils in it, those oils can get into the lashes and make a weaker bond. The lash adhesive has to cure for 24 hours to become as strong as it can be and oil just gets in the way of that.
5. Avoid caffeine before your lash extension appointment. The buzz we get from caffeine makes eyes twitch, which makes it difficult to put lashes on well. Save your cup of joe for after a morning appointment or have it about 4 hours or greater prior to your appointment.
How to take care of your lash extensions
Now that you have eyelash extensions on, you'll want to protect your investment with a proper home-care regimen.